The present building dates from 1845 though there has been a church on the site for much longer. Although located in an isolated spot, the road which passes the church was once an important road, part of a track which leads from Matterdale over to Wanthwaite and on to the Naddle Valley. The church welcomes many visitors who happen on the church on their journey over High Rigg. The building conveys a warm atmosphere which is conducive to peace and prayer.
Sunday Service - 11.00am
Rediscovering our Past
Following the publication in 2010 of a book by Geoff Darrall, "The Story of St. John's in the Vale", The Rural Development Programme for England represented by Cumbria Fells and Dales has agreed a grant of over £4000 towards a programme of community research into the histories of the homes in the valley, which will lead to the publication of a book containing our various contributions. The project is called “Rediscovering our Past”. Details of the project and information about the valley churches is available on the website www.adamscross.co.uk