Carlisle Diocese Youth Centre, Keswick

History





The Centre is beautifully situated on Naddle Fell in the Parish of St. John's-in-the-Vale, in the heart of the Lake District. Within sight are Blencathra (868m) and Skiddaw (931m) to the North and Helvellyn (949m) to the South and the whole panorama of the Grassmoor group of fells to the west. Borrowdale can be easily reached, and the Lakes of Thirlmere, Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite are close at hand.

Formerly the Church School, the Diocesan Youth Centre was first opened by the Bishop of Carlisle in 1952 with the addition of an Annexe. Subsequently the Main Building was extended and the whole Centre modified and greatly improved. The most recent improvements completed in early 2004 have included disabled accommodation and additional facilities in the annexe.

Situated between the two Youth Centre buildings is the Parish Church of St. John's-in-the-Vale. It has been a place of worship since the mid 16th century. Serving the centre as a Chapel, it provides a strong link between visitors and Parish.

Cars or minibuses should have no difficulty reaching the Centre. Coaches can not negotiate the narrow lanes and bends to the Centre. If you are planning to travel by coach, please contact the Chaplain/Warden for advice